As you age, your dental health can take a hit. The hazards of everyday life eventually begin to take their toll, especially on your teeth. The constant wear and tear from chewing and eating food can wear your teeth down if you do not practice various dental health basics. Listed below are few tips to consider to keep your mouth going strong into your twilight:
– Make sure to see your dentist for professional cleanings twice per year, and if you have any other issues, schedule regular checkups to ensure your oral health remains excellent.
– Always floss your teeth at least once per day for 2-3 minutes per session, hitting all areas between every tooth, including the back teeth. The best type of floss is typically shred-resistant.
– Always brush your teeth at least twice per day for 2-3 minutes per session. If manual brushing proves too difficult for you, switch to brushing with an electric brush.
– Avoid hard and tough foods that can easily chip and crack your teeth.
– All teeth and teeth replacements should be cleaned, including any dental work you may have had done, including soaking your dentures in a cleaning solution each night.
– Bad habits such as chewing tobacco, smoking, and using drugs can all have serious consequences on your oral health, which only get worse with age.
– Always brush your teeth with a toothbrush that has soft bristles.
Your oral health can be enhanced with the help of our licensed professionals at ODonnell Family Dentistry. To book an appointment with Dr. David O'Donnell at our dentist office in Lexington, Kentucky, please contact us at 859-269-4613. Don’t let old age hold you back any longer. Save your smile with our help today!